Saturday, September 18, 2010

BP8_Noteflight


As I continuously work on my AR Project, I have been searching for two tools to help me create the web-based interface to help teach scales.  I am looking for something that will create simple music notation samples to show my students and a program that will embed a video recorder into a web page so the students can record themselves so I can grade them.
Noteflight
I found one of them.  It's called Noteflight.  This program is a Web 2.0 tool that creates notation that can be viewed at its site, it can be put on a web page, or it can be added to a blog.  Noteflight also plays the musical example.  To see this tool in action, please visit my site at shelbybands.org. Noteflight is also designed to integrate with Learning Management Systems (LMS) such as Moodle, Blackboard, and blogs such as WordPress.  The program is web-based and there is no software to install.

These features make it a good candidate for my needs.  Noteflight is a simple and free program that also includes features such as multi-user interface for use in classroom with students. As with most of the Web 2.0 sites, this has a simple ‘free’ version and a full feature version for $49/year.  The simple version has more than enough features for my purpose.

There are programs such as SmartMusic and Finale that can do much more than this tool, but they are expensive and complicated to learn.  Noteflight is designed to make musical examples to paste into other media.  I can see not only using this for my AR Project, but also using it for my classes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment